FW: [DPRG] Fall Robomagellan

Subject: FW: [DPRG] Fall Robomagellan
From: dpa dpa at io.isem.smu.edu
Date: Thu Jul 3 12:00:22 CDT 2008

Hey Randy,

The DPRG Roborama is happening in late November and we're
planning on doing a DPRG Outdoor Challenge but have not heard
any interest in the Robomagellan.   Unitl we have a few robots that
can do the simpler challenges the orange cone finding task may
be premature.  As you know I also personally think that the SRS
contest inappropriately focuses builder attention on the waypoints
while the main navigation problems to be solved are those that occur
between the waypoints.  Once we have some robots that can handle
the navigation tasks robustly, then touching orange cones at the
waypoints, or doing something more interesting at the waypoints
(like retrieving or delivering/installing something) is the next
logical step.

For that matter, if your robot can do waypoint navigation and also
locate and touch orange blobs (we are basically talking about
CMU/AVRcams here, yes?) then the robot could also push said
orange blob, in the form of an orange soccer ball, for example,
to a waypoint or "goal" if you will.  Lots more interesting things
to do  than just touch orange blobs once navigation itself is
established.  At least that's what I'd like to see happen.  I haven't
seen a lot of Robomagellan robots that can navigate in the
absence of homing beacons (i.e. traffic cones) at the waypoints,
so the solution that contest encourages does not strike me as
a general one that can easily give rise to other behaviors.

That said, if there is enough interest in the DPRG holding a
cone-touching event then we can easily add that as another
challenge (#5?) to the ORC events in November.   Do you think
you'll have an entry ready by then?

best,
dpa