[DPRG] Programmable cameras

Subject: [DPRG] Programmable cameras
From: Ed Paradis legomaniac at gmail.com
Date: Wed Jul 9 12:49:13 CDT 2008

This came up via Google.

http://www.tern.com/portal/content.asp?contentid=630

It is a little CMOS camera stuck to a x86 40MHz processor.  The
processor is fully programmable, so I'm assuming you could have it do
some computer vision.

The price seems reasonable, but its not quite what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know of a unit similar to this that has:

1) a higher resolution camera (and maybe better or interchanging optics)
2) a faster processor (and perhaps one a bit more suited to multimedia
computations)
3) a similar price (around $200)

Edmund Optical has some computer vision units that are meant for
product inspection, but they're too costly and not embeddably
programmable. They have high power usage and seem to require being
tethered to a desktop PC.

I recall a project where someone was sticking a camera of some sort in
front of a FPGA.

And of course the ubiquitous CMUcam and AVRCam should be mentioned.
Those have even less resolution and slower processors, but do perform
very well in their niche.

Considering how easy it is to get general purpose ARM, AVR32, and DSP
development boards, perhaps the real trick here is finding an OEM
board camera.

Any ideas or comments?

Ed