[DPRG] Phase Shift

Subject: [DPRG] Phase Shift
From: Dean Hall dwhall256 at gmail.com
Date: Tue Jul 22 13:39:17 CDT 2008

I believe the "tricks" of the $$$ sensors involve multiple sampling
methods and intense signal processing.

Other ideas include stereo vision and shape-distortion.  Stereo
vision is self-descriptive.  Shape distortion is where you have a
plurality of lasers, each are spread so that they draw a line in
space.  Those lines intersect in ways that draw a shape on a 2-D
surface (as if you were holding a piece of paper in front of the
sensor.  Each laser is oriented such that the shape would change in a
distinct manner as you moved the piece of paper toward and away from
the sensor.  A 2-D camera captures the shape and a computer attempts
to calculate the distance.  The major problem with this method is
attempting to "see" the pattern on a non uniform surface (both
physical distortion and variable reflectance).

!!Dean