[DPRG] Turning methods

Subject: [DPRG] Turning methods
From: Eric Sumner kd5bjo at gmail.com
Date: Thu Jul 31 16:27:56 CDT 2008

> What are the methods that any one has used to execute turns in a list
> of way points?  Does anyone look ahead to the next way point and try
> to 'get clever' with the turning?  Because of the geometry and general
> restrictions of the frame of Tankbot, I'd like to execute beautiful
> sweeping turns, instead of coming to a dead halt, scratching and
> scraping as it spins in place and racks up huge errors in encoder
> counts.

If you're interested, I just finished my nonlinear controls project on
differential-drive robot navigation, where I developed a control
algorithm that (in simulation) can make the robot follow just about
any path you want it to.  As far as which path to make it follow, I'll
second somebody else's suggestion of Bezier splines; they're simple to
compute and very versatile.

I can send the PDF or the code to the simulation to anyone who wants
it; the paper is a fairly large file (2.4 MB).

  -- Eric