[DPRG] Turning methods

Subject: [DPRG] Turning methods
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Thu Jul 31 23:15:31 CDT 2008

Eric Sumner said: Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:28 PM
> If you're interested, I just finished my nonlinear controls
> project on differential-drive robot navigation, ...
> I can send the PDF or the code to the simulation to anyone
> who wants it; the paper is a fairly large file (2.4 MB).

Yes, Eric, I would like to see your work pdf.

Hate to state the terribly obvious, but it's a tank. You drive
to the point, you differentially rotate about a point. You leave
in the direction of the next point.

What do I do? Oh that's different. I rotate differentially until
past 90 difference then let the inside tire scale from full
reversed until stearing nearly right at the target point. So
mine robots tend to stear out a bit as soon as they can start
making forward progress in the direction of the target, wether
pointing right at it or not. It means I have extremely smooth,
even artful turns but arrive from less than straight on. I could
cut out the algorythm, but it is in Forth, if some one was
really interested.

Randy