[DPRG] [Fwd: Rechargeable Batteries...]

Subject: [DPRG] [Fwd: Rechargeable Batteries...]
From: vincent lopresti spaceminers2010 at yahoo.com
Date: Tue Aug 4 10:49:15 CDT 2009

i know how you feel. join the club...    the dead battery club. we could bring our robots. it would be the 1st robot bar in deep ellum that serves mixed drinks & nuts to non-machines and serves wd-40, fresh batteries, nuts & bolts to robots. maybe Bender the robot from Futurama will show up looking for a place to jack-in.

anywayz, the old power wheelchair i just purchased for $50 had dead batteries. was hoping to use them for MoonDawg. However, the 24v charger seems to work fine and the rest of the chair looks rarely used. it will make a fine backup emergency replacement MoonDawg base.

where is the best source for batteries at the best price? we need an online excel spreadsheet list. here is one suggestion http://www.batteriesasap.com

SpaceMiner Mark Rice, owner of Bedford Industries, just donated 2 - 12v, 33a gel cells for the MoonDawg Project. Mark intalled them, stood on MoonDawg and went for a ride. Mark weighs approx 240lbs. i'm sure it could carry the entire 330lbs of regolith contest requirement in one trip if we had too. we can test this theory as soon as Mark gains 90lbs! [please send Mark chocolates].

almost finished assembling one side of the 15ft long dirt digging tread. it requires lots of fine cutting and rivoting of many shorter strips of diamond-lok [polyethylene]. but this is the holy grail of tank tracks for wheelchair conversions to date. very lightweight, easy to work with, durable, less parts to assemble, thick, very inexpensive. downside is they get hard and less flexible in cold weather.

click here for video of moondawg with demo track

still looking for much needed help in the robot lab and looking for sponsors. ask around, start up a conversation, tell your boss! the SpaceMiners need support!

robotrock =]