[DPRG] Encoders and PLCs

Subject: [DPRG] Encoders and PLCs
From: DeltaGraph at aol.com DeltaGraph at aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 20 18:31:20 CDT 2009

John,

Not a real answer to your post..

Sounds like interesting problem.

I noticed that the few commercial motion controllers I have ever looked  at
use much higher update rates than I do (or can achieve) using 8 bit  AVR,
e.g. I use a 200 Hz loop on my laser (2 axes), but much easier proposition
since predictable frictional loads and inertial loads.

So will variable braking be all you need? -- OR -- would you need ability
to apply torque to motor to accelerate it while it is decelerating if it
gets  too slow too fast -- if that makes sense?

It seems like I always end up building my own controller in the case of
being constrained by existing one, even if in the end mine is not as good --
it  generally can do something the original one could not.

Wonder if that is what you will do here. Seems like last Roborama, SawTooth
 demonstrated a high degree of mastery of the science of motion control
doing its snappy turns around a 10 ft square and returning to start  position
on a dime as I recall.

Ron