[DPRG] Encoders and PLCs

Subject: [DPRG] Encoders and PLCs
From: D. Daniel McGlothin ddm at mcglothin.info
Date: Thu Aug 20 20:09:32 CDT 2009

I'd be happy to share advice with you on this topic, as this stuff is my
'day job'.

What Allen Bradley PLC series/model do you have, as well as mfg/model of
the other parts of the system already committed?  Many encoders have an
index pulse in addition to the pulse stream, but an absolute encoder
could serve just as well for positioning.  Also you would need to state
a quantified definition of how "very accurate" you need as well how
"high" is the inertia involved.  A sense of budget size would help
position the solution, as typically the more 'very accurate' the
solution, the more $.

Daniel