[DPRG] Motor Control and parts shopping

Subject: [DPRG] Motor Control and parts shopping
From: Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Date: Fri Aug 28 06:20:26 CDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 03:51 -0500, Gary Burton wrote:
> I've been looking at the L293D to provide the H-bridges to control the
> motors. Is there a better chip out there or a better way to do it?

If the L293D is good enough to do your motors use it. A bigger one made
with discrete parts is more work. I have not looked in a long time but I
believe there are bigger H-Bridge chips out there.

There is a OSMC yahoo group working on really big H-bridges >100 Amps.
They have schematics in their files section.

> Also, is there a better place to shop for parts, besides online
> stores?

Best online places are Digikey and Mouser for electronic parts. I like
Mouser because they are in Mansfield and UPS Ground is next day. Digikey
takes 3 days.