[DPRG] RE: Re: Motor Control and parts shopping

Subject: [DPRG] RE: Re: Motor Control and parts shopping
From: Gary Burton mechgeek2000 at gmail.com
Date: Sat Aug 29 19:46:37 CDT 2009

I'm still going to go to with the L293D for right now. It's tried, tested
and has a minimum of parts. The voltage needed for the motors is well within
it's range. There is an upgrade path for both chip and motors. Plus the fact
the programming for it is quite simple. I'd prefer to use steppers or
gearheads, instead of geared down cheap variable DC motors. I'd also like to
get it moving and move on to encoding the drive shafts and working on the
sensors. This is my first bot, so vast improvement may seem built in and I'm
taking notes on the next one which should be a vast improvement.

So far Leo will have tracked drive driven by geared down DC motors from a
L293D, bumper sensors and IR sensors for object finding at range all
controlled by an AtMega328.  Wheels might be faster, steppers would probably
be more efficient with the proper board to drive them and either a few ARM
modules or a few networked At328 chips would be preferred. Baby steps is a
good thing and makes debugging for somebody who's not done this
succcessfully before, much easier.

Hopefully, soon I'm using the stuff like you guys probably are, but till
then bear with my simplistic and naive decisions.

--
Find my blog at:

http://mechgeek2000.blogspot.com/