[DPRG] Hi, Introduction, and Guidance

Subject: [DPRG] Hi, Introduction, and Guidance
From: Ray Xu rayxu123 at gmail.com
Date: Sun Aug 30 20:33:32 CDT 2009

Very interesting story; since your story is almost the almost exactly the
same with me (and my dad).  Right now, I'm a freshman at High School; but I
can recall that my dad had (who has a patent
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=FFJ4AAAAEBAJ&dq=jianzhong+xu) taught
me the basic light bulb, battery, and switch when I was 5.  At first, I
thought I'd want to be in the career field of robotics back then, but over
the years and these days, I'm now practically a mix of a robotic hobbyist
and electrical engineer.

In my opinion, I'd hold off the electronics/robotics books for now and
(maybe) explain the basics of electornics/robotics to your son first.  A
great place to start off would probably be getting one of those LEGO
Mindstorms and/or a electronics kit like this one (only cheaper):
http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/science/mx908.htm
<http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/science/mx908.htm>  .  Once he
gets into his teen years, a VEX robotics kit could also be an option to
start him off in the mechanics of a robot.  And maybe you can also start
teaching him stuff about microcontrollers too.

Not saying you *have to* go out and spend tons of money on him; but just
trying to give you a "starting point" for him.  Again, its strictly my
opinion (from a high schooler...); maybe some other people here have better
suggestions.

Ray Xu