[DPRG] Hi, Introduction, and Guidance

Subject: [DPRG] Hi, Introduction, and Guidance
From: Jon Angliss jon at netdork.net
Date: Sun Aug 30 22:23:37 CDT 2009

Ray Xu wrote:
> Very interesting story; since your story is almost the almost exactly
> the same with me (and my dad).  Right now, I'm a freshman at High
> School; but I can recall that my dad had (who has a patent
> http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=FFJ4AAAAEBAJ&dq=jianzhong+xu
> <http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=FFJ4AAAAEBAJ&dq=jianzhong+xu>)
> taught me the basic light bulb, battery, and switch when I was 5.  At
> first, I thought I'd want to be in the career field of robotics back
> then, but over the years and these days, I'm now practically a mix of a
> robotic hobbyist and electrical engineer.
>
> In my opinion, I'd hold off the electronics/robotics books for now and
> (maybe) explain the basics of electornics/robotics to your son first.

Exactly what I was thinking of doing.  Starting easy, and building
on it.

> great place to start off would probably be getting one of those LEGO
> Mindstorms and/or a electronics kit like this one (only cheaper):
> http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/science/mx908.htm

I was looking at the "snap-together" type electronic sets in Fry's
today, ideal for little fingers, and sponge minds.

> <http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/science/mx908.htm>  .  Once
> he gets into his teen years, a VEX robotics kit could also be an option
> to start him off in the mechanics of a robot.  And maybe you can also
> start teaching him stuff about microcontrollers too.

I was thinking of the lego stuff for him, and the more complex stuff
for me ;)  He gets along well with legos, so that might be a good
start for him.

> Not saying you *have to* go out and spend tons of money on him; but just
> trying to give you a "starting point" for him.  Again, its strictly my
> opinion (from a high schooler...); maybe some other people here have
> better suggestions.

It's interesting to have a point of view from the other side, thanks
for the input.  Of course, he's my son, so I've no objection
spending money on him, but I suspect I'd be spending more on the
goodies for me, than him ;)