[DPRG] Need help with science fair ideas

Subject: [DPRG] Need help with science fair ideas
From: Rud Merriam k5rud at arrl.net
Date: Mon Aug 31 18:50:48 CDT 2009

How about communications using lasers? This maybe further a field than you
like but it does involve lasers. The interesting aspect would be to study
how to modulate the laser and provide a protocol that is robust, i.e.
continues to work through fog or rain. This gets into areas of error
correcting codes which are a cutting edge area of study today.

Another project would be to determine the energy cross-section of a laser. I
actually did this as a work project a number of years ago at the Laboratory
for Laser Energetics at Univ of Rochester. My project involved only a line
across the beam. You could study the entire beam using a web cam. One of the
tricks is detecting when the beam fires and triggering the receiver to do
the measurement.

I'm down in Houston so can't help with mentoring except for the computer
software and digital protocols.

 - 73 -
Rud Merriam K5RUD
ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX