[DPRG] Breadboard Arduino class tonight at RBNO

Subject: [DPRG] Breadboard Arduino class tonight at RBNO
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Wed Jul 29 08:45:12 CDT 2009

OK, it's not tonight.  It was last night.

And it was a lot of fun!  Thanks to everyone that participated in the class!  We
even had some "auditers" hanging around the fringes and soaking up all the
physical computing goodness.

Everyone successfully completed the class and, as promised, were awarded
miniscule, trivial prizes.  I want to see what you did with those displays!
This is in addition to walking away with a personally hand-crafted
Arduino-compatible microcomputer with extended mega-prototyping area.  Congrats,
you guys!  Working with talented people makes my job look easy!  We went from
blinking a single LED and hooking up pushbuttons to building miniature Cylon
scanners and actual honest-to-goodness *singing* text-to-speech synthesis.  Fun
stuff!

A video record of the proceeding was made.  I don't know when it will be made
available yet, but hopefully soon.  In the meantime, feel free to download the
course manual from my web site:

http://www.dalewheat.com/pdf/How%20To%20Build%20an%20Arduino-compatible%20Physical%20Computing%20Platform%20on%20a%20Solderless%20Breadboard.pdf

That's a 2.2 MB PDF, 14 pages with lots of detailed, color photographs.  The
totally inadequate black & white printouts were a little help, but not much.
Lesson learned!

I'd like to hear back from participants, onlookers and enemy combatants
regarding the class:  what you liked, what was awful, what could be improved,
etc.  I'd like to improve this class and do a better job of presenting it again
in the Very Near Future.

I'd also like to thank my lovely & talented assistant, Doug Emes.  Doug was
on-the-spot helping everyone overcome all the minor hurdles and giving everyone
the personal attention they needed to successfully complete the class.  Thanks
so much, Doug!  I couldn't have done it without you.

Please contact me off-list (that's "Reply", not "Reply All") if you would be
interested in attending the next class, once I can get it scheduled.

PS:  In case I hadn't made it abundantly clear previously, I stole this whole
idea from Brett Stephens and Chris Holloway of Tx/Rx Labs in Houston.  They did
it first and they did it best.  Thanks for the inspiration, guys!

Thanks,

Dale Wheat

(972) 486-1317
(877) DALE WHEAT