[DPRG] Tilt-Compass versus AHRS-IMU

Subject: [DPRG] Tilt-Compass versus AHRS-IMU
From: Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Date: Mon Nov 9 15:45:52 CST 2009

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 13:34:40 -0600, Andrew Lynch <lyncas at gmail.com>
wrote:

>A tilt-compensated compass will only provide heading information.  An AHRS will provide roll, pitch and yaw of the vehicle while recording obstacle measurements.  The ground vehicle should only roll and pitch less no more than 30 degrees.
>
>Has anyone had success in outdoor navigation with only a tilt-based compass ?

I have one of those compasses, and they work great, although I haven't
actually used it in a moving vehicle yet. In addition to heading, they
also provide pitch and roll, although those are really only valid
while the vehicle isn't jerking around, since they are based on a
3-axis accelerometer reading.

It really depends on how much money you want to spend. A decent AHRS
with on-board filtering will run you between $600 and $1800, depending
on features.

Later,
Jon