[DPRG] Voltage Conversion

Subject: [DPRG] Voltage Conversion
From: Paul Bouchier bouchier at classicnet.net
Date: Sat Nov 28 18:40:55 CST 2009

Kip - you responded with the right answer to the wrong question. Clearly,
wanting that amount of power means Charles is driving motors, and it makes
no sense to regulate 48V @ 5A down to a nice smooth 12V @ 20A only to PWM it
to motors. 20A is harder to deal with than 5A. Better to use a motor PWM
module that accepts 48V and designed to drive 5A average. The only thing
that might make that problematic is if he was hoping to use an
already-installed motor controller that runs off 12V; but really, if you
need to run off 48V, ditch the 12V module & get a high-voltage module. Jose
might be able to steer you in some good directions.

A separate, professionally-built regulator to power the electronics makes
total sense - all kinds of protection built in.

Paul