[DPRG] landwalker parts needed

Subject: [DPRG] landwalker parts needed
From: Quinones, Jose jquinones at ti.com
Date: Mon Nov 30 15:16:27 CST 2009

Not wanting to be the idiot that comes up with the negativity to ruin any given project, but wouldn't it be the best way to leave the wheel chair in obsolescence to create an adapter for the Segway? It would be very simple to create some form of harness which would allow people with any given form of leg incapacitation to remain in the standing position while they get (and stay within) the Segway. Then it is a matter of leaning forward and backward, and the motion takes place.

I know that it would be way cooler to have walking cyber legs, and that maybe this is the end product after some time of development but I just don't understand what is the SOLE fascination with legs, when maybe there are other better methods of achieving the same goal. Of course, our own human egocentrism makes us deem legs the most awesome of all translation contraptions. And maybe they are, but I wonder if it was just a matter of the conditions on this planet being what they were the reason why we came up to be with legs and not, say, wheels (clearly none of the 5 billion of species have anything resembling wheels, so leg-like appendages have been clearly advantageous for survival and deeming my hypothesis most likely mute).

I do not want to be disrespectful here and I am certainly grateful that I have operational legs (for now). I also know that if I were to loose my legs (or its capacity to move me), I would consider cybernetic legs a project of uttermost importance. But at the same time I would not blind myself to only solve the problem with something that resembles legs.

One last note. The Segway can not take you up the stairs or through extremely uneven terrain, which is the only reason in which I think legs have the advantage. But cybernetic legs will have to be extremely complicated to tackle these activities as well, not to mention that cybernetic legs will never be able to move as fast as a wheel based mechanism. So although the Segway has some disadvantages, it would excel on other areas. I think when we become cyborgs a few centuries into the future, we will include attachment ports for both forms of transportation.

I do have to admit that creating an adapter for the Segway would be no fun at all, though... If you need help with the leg motors let me know as I would be interested in toying with these concepts!

Best regards,

JIQ
Texas Instruments - Applications Engineer
13560 North Central Expressway
MS3744
Dallas TX, 75243
Office: 1-214-567-7275