[DPRG] Feedback: Roborama 2010b

Subject: [DPRG] Feedback: Roborama 2010b
From: Jeff Koenig koenig.jeff at gmail.com
Date: Sun Dec 5 11:57:16 CST 2010

I am also in agreement - parallel contests are not the answer.   I entered
at least one robot in each of the RoboRama 2010b events, so it would have
made it very difficult for me as a participant.  Also, it would have split
the crowd, would have required 2 MCs, etc.

The carpet messed up my robots too, but I'm not complaining.   A "hard"
floor would be better for most of the group's robots, though.  Carpet is
terrible stuff - years ago, the club bought what we thought was some good
low-nap roll-up carpet for contests, but it had a "grain" that made odometry
very, very difficult or impossible.

It would be good to have some time before the contest for test-trials.  We
had this at RoboRama 2010b, but there were also a lot of curious onlookers
(which is good!) who sometimes interfered with robot testing.

Speaking from experience, it would be VERY difficult to have certain events
at certain times, especially without a sign-up list completed in advance.

It seems like the biggest time drain was for the Square-Dance competition.
Maybe we could cut it from 3 attempts to 2 attempts?

(Old-time members will remember waiting a LONG time for small robots using
hacked hobby servos to complete the T-Square contest on the old, large
courses.)

My (overpriced) 2 cents,
Jeff