[DPRG] Over dioded?

Subject: [DPRG] Over dioded?
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Mon Dec 27 18:30:17 CST 2010

I'm designing a new RS-232 to TTL adapter for the NXP LPC Cortex-M0 and
Cortex-M3 processors.  It uses some of the modem control lines to reset the
chip and put it into bootloader mode.  I'm using very simple
resistor-transistor level shifting to constrain the incoming signals to
typically a 0V-3V range (or whatever is supplied on the Vcc pin).

My original design works well, even with "barely compliant" USB to RS-232
adapters.  I went and got all fancy by adding some LEDs inline with the
incoming signals, instead of adding an additional driver transistor for each
signal.  Using high-brightness LEDs, I can just see the LEDs twinkling when
bits are flowing to and from the chip.

My question is this:  With the LEDs in series with the incoming signals, do
I still need the protection diodes (D1, D2, D3) to shunt potential negative
levels to ground?  Or will the inherent diode-ness of the LEDs prevent this
from ever happening?

Here is a PDF of the schematic-in-progress:

http://dalewheat.com/info-content/RS232%20to%20TTL%20bootloader%20schematic.pdf

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Dale Wheat