[DPRG] Over dioded?

Subject: [DPRG] Over dioded?
From: jdrumm9015 at aol.com jdrumm9015 at aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 28 09:39:38 CST 2010

Dale,
  The inherent "diode-ness" will only work if you knew what the other end was referenced to.  The protection diodes work well since one end is connected to ground, you know what the reference is.  When the other end drops one forward biased diode drop (0.6-0.7 volts Si) then the diode conducts and protects the line from negative transients.

  The diodes in series with the data are referenced to the base of the transistors (Q1, Q2, Q3).  Is that diode forward biased or not?  What would a negative transient see on that line?  Maybe it depends on the logical value on the other end of the series diode, or maybe it depends on if the transistor base-emitter is forward biased.  I believe a negative transient is almost guaranteed to blow out the base-emitter junction of the transistors, Q1, Q2, or Q3 since the series diode on state is somewhat nebulous given the unknown state of the base-emitter on state.

  Just my two cents.

John Drummond

PS:  The series resistor (high tech battery charger circuit) might give you all the protection you need anyway since it will limit any transient current flow, you still might be able to eliminate the protection diodes, but not because of the series LEDs.