[DPRG] RE: Big Dog - now grants

Subject: [DPRG] RE: Big Dog - now grants
From: Bruce K. Harlan bkharlan at bkharlan.com
Date: Sun Feb 14 22:28:42 CST 2010

It would seem Dick has made an accurate assessment. Probably nothing
wrong with it, either. The difference being- do we wish, as a club, to
pursue grant money? If the answer is "no", then we are probably in good
shape except for a beer budget and another warehouse.

If we do wish to pursue grant money, then we need to alter a few things.

I have been tasked with finding some grant money for the club, but so
far, for the most part, I have been listening to others in the club to
see what we, as a club, wish to be. Generally, the answer is "Hobbyists
that pretty much wish to be left alone." If that is a correct
assessment, then that's OK, but no organization is going to grant us any
money to do so.

Of the list that Dick presented, I think the biggest problem is "No
credibility". Ouch. Grant money or not, we should be credible and
respected; we should be a club others are interested in joining. Whether
we market it or not, there is (or should be) much wisdom among an
"organization of 'old farts'"; wisdom that others wish to seek out.

Aren't we the oldest Robotics Group in the country?

Bruce Harlan