[DPRG] RE: Funding Grants for DPRG

Subject: [DPRG] RE: Funding Grants for DPRG
From: Ed Paradis legomaniac at gmail.com
Date: Mon Feb 15 09:33:31 CST 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Erin Kennedy <erin...grrl.com> wrote:
> What makes your group different?
> How do you outreach to the community?
> How do you inspire others to learn?

You bring up a good point: as a club, we offer a lot by just being a
place for people to land when they're interested in the sorts of
things we do.

At an RBNO, Steve was saying that we could have our own Maker
Faire-esqe convention in Dallas.  What other group would be able to
organize something like that?  What other group would really want to
push that to happen?  Even if we're just the bug in everyone's ears
saying "Hey! Robots are cool! Look! Roooobooots", we're doing
something good. It gets people excited and it gets people thinking
about technology and science.

What might be old hat to some of the more grizzled robot builders in
our ranks is still fresh and exciting to a much larger population of
people.

On a side note, Bruce said:
> Aren't we the oldest Robotics Group in the country?

We are the oldest Robotics Group to claim to be the oldest.  I think a
west coast club has us beat by a year in absolute terms.  Either way,
we've been part of the Dallas community for a little over a quarter of
a century.  I think that says something.

Ed