[DPRG] AVR Studio Vs Arduino Wiring

Subject: [DPRG] AVR Studio Vs Arduino Wiring
From: Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Date: Wed Feb 17 12:37:53 CST 2010

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 11:56:05 -0600, "Austin K. Litman"
<austin.litman at verizon.net> wrote:

>By using the native programming mode of the AVR line of chips, I get away from wasting the bootloader space and can manipulate fuses as well as program any part of the AVR.

Of course, you can do this with any of the Arduinos as well, as long
as they include the six-pin header. The Nano is a good example of one
you can program over a USB cable (built-in FT232 and bootloader), or
you can ignore than and program it directly using a 6-pin programmer.

The Arduino IDE doesn't really care, its just a question of setting it
up the right way depending on how you want to program the chips.

>Before you know it, you'll be buying just the basic parts (caps, crystal and CPU) and building your own dev boards.

I do build many of my own boards from scratch, but I tend to program
my newer ones using the Arduino IDE. Some of them use the bootloader,
and some of them are programmed directly using my 6-pin Pololu AVR
programmer.

Later,
Jon