[DPRG] Return of the AVR Mega-Geek

Subject: [DPRG] Return of the AVR Mega-Geek
From: Ed Paradis legomaniac at gmail.com
Date: Wed Feb 17 13:34:21 CST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:52 AM, Peter Chung <peterchung1031 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be interested to hear what advantages programming the ATMEGA chips with
> AVR Studio gives you over using the Arduino IDE and extending it with
> libraries (most of which other people have already written).

Real time register level debugging is available in the AVR Studio IDE.

Other than that, the Arduino software is nothing but a set of really
convenient libraries.  The IDE is cross platform.

The Arduino libraries hide away some of the ugly common syntax you
deal with for working with bits and registers.

For the higher level stuff, like interfacing to Hitachi compatible
LCDs, it isn't much different than using the Pyrocon AVRlib:
http://www.mil.ufl.edu/~chrisarnold/components/microcontrollerBoard/AVR/avrlib/

Or if you're a roll your own sort of person, you can write all this
stuff from scratch to make something that does exactly what thousands
of other people have already done.  I did it once; I learned a lot.
Now I'd rather get something built then go look up all the timing for
some thing someone else has solved.  When the out of box solution
breaks, you can go in and figure out whats wrong and fix it.

The Arduino isn't anything spectacular to loathe or love.  Its just
very convenient and lowers the bar on annoying entry level knowledge
that differs slightly between all manufacturers and products.  (How do
I set up the clock? How do I do timers? How do I do IO?  All chips
have the same functionality but slightly different ways of doing it.)

Ed