[DPRG] Teaching programming and technology to kids viapersonalrobotics

Subject: [DPRG] Teaching programming and technology to kids viapersonalrobotics
From: Wes Grimes wesgrimes_2000 at yahoo.com
Date: Sun Feb 21 21:39:19 CST 2010

Hi Randy,

Alice is a 3D modeling programing environment. It would be very possible and probably easy to add a robot model to their environment.

What I am working on is a similar programming user interface to control robots in the real world via serial communication or by updating the code on the robot. I have modified a toy Wall-E using an Atmega328 (Arduino) and a handful of servos to create a "robot". There are a number of kits as well as retail packages like the Lego Mindstorm that could have definition files added to the programming environment allowing a large number of robots or other physical computing devices to be controlled by the program. Then interface would be open source so any builder could use the environment.

I think the advantage here is that kids MAY be more interested in interacting with real world objects. Making a 3D character on the screen move is fun, but my experience has been that children prefer interacting with real world objects. NASA's "Robots on the Road" program http://aesp.psu.edu/robots.cfm is an example of the learning environment that I am trying to achieve.

Thanks,
Wes