[DPRG] Teaching programming and technology to kids viapersonalrobotics

Subject: [DPRG] Teaching programming and technology to kids viapersonalrobotics
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Sun Feb 21 22:32:03 CST 2010

Wes Grimes said: Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:39 PM
> I think the advantage here is that kids MAY be more
> interested in interacting with real world objects.

That is surely the crux of the issue.

I don't know the truth of the matter. I do believe in the idea
robots are powerful tools for drawing interests of students. But
it is not clear in my mind if doing something physical or
watching a simulation give a vastly different attraction.

Now that said, I do think the wonderful thing about physical
expression is in the physics. That is, on the Alice example,
they showed a hole in the ice, and programmed the skater to fall
when she was near enough the hole. In physical reality, you
don't have to program gravity to work. It's on all the time.

So like William Grey Walter who noticed robots are terribly
unpredictable, and Rodney Brooks who says simulations are doomed
to succeed, and the best model for the universe is the universe,
I too think if you're after real world physics, you'll only
teach it by being in the real world.

Randy