[DPRG] Teaching programming and technology to kids via personal robotics

Subject: [DPRG] Teaching programming and technology to kids via personal robotics
From: Huff, Brian L bhuff at uta.edu
Date: Mon Feb 22 11:14:13 CST 2010

Hello Wes,

I would be interested in contributing to your effort.  We have spoken before concerning the use of C# in robotics applications.  I also have a 4th Grader who I would like to introduce to programming.

I understand and appreciate software development concepts but have had trouble getting over the initial learning curve of C# development.

I might be able to help broaden the effort by developing sub-classes for alternative hardware.  I could try to duplicate your implementation on controller X and I could see it I can support the same methods, attributes, behaviors on controller Y that I might be more familiar with.  Hope the result would be transparent to the development system user.  They just pick which hardware they want to use.  (Yes, I know it is never that simple but that is where the challenge is and where proprietary, "closed" development systems fail).

The key for me will be to try and follow someone else's architecture.  In software design I do believe that too many chefs can spoil the broth.  I think I could learn a lot by being a prep. Cook.

Please let me know.

Brian Huff