[DPRG] PID Loop Question

Subject: [DPRG] PID Loop Question
From: Quinones, Jose jquinones at ti.com
Date: Mon Feb 22 12:34:02 CST 2010

Hi Group,

I am trying to get a better understanding of the PID Loop. I have some, but want to understand it as good as I understand tying up my shoes. I want this to be as clear in my head as it is counting from 1 to 10 in Spanish.

So far, I think I understand the Proportional aspect this good. If the error is big, correct a lot. If the error is not so big, correct just a little bit.

I think I have an idea of what Integral is. If the error has been big for a long time, correct for a longer period of time. If the error has not been too large for a long period of time, then apply a correction only for a small period of time.

Not certain if I follow Derivative as well, but my impression is that it tells us how quick the error is changing and if so, then apply a correction.

And then it comes to putting it all together and knowing which component caused which occurrence of what.

I know there is a bunch of tutorials out there, but they are all of the style "if 1 + 1 = 2, what is the molecular constitution of binary star system XT394-MY if the two suns collapse at the neocortex of the meridian divesture?" In other words, WHAT???

What explanations can you offer or what tutorials can you point me to? Thanks in advance for expanding my mind with your knowledge!

Best regards,

JIQ