[C-STUDENTS-OF-BCIT] RE: [DPRG] Teaching programming andtechnology to kids viapersonalrobotics

Subject: [C-STUDENTS-OF-BCIT] RE: [DPRG] Teaching programming andtechnology to kids viapersonalrobotics
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Tue Feb 23 12:56:15 CST 2010

Piper said: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:25 AM
> I am interested in taking FIRST PRINCIPLES of
> binary arithmetic by stringing beads and building
> on them in the Dick-Jane-Spot primer until the
> students are able to spell out how to build a
> computer as HW as well as SW.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to teach what is not seen as
immediately applicable to the learner. I know of many people who
are successful drivers, without knowing anything about metal
casting that is necessary to form an engine block.

Isn't the very point of using a high level language to avoid
learning unnecessary details? Weren't spreadsheets the original
"killer apps" because people who did not know binary arithmetic
could use a computer to get useful answers?

If we required children to conjugate verbs before speaking
sentences, we'd all risk being without language.

Randy