[DPRG] Home PCB production?

Subject: [DPRG] Home PCB production?
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Fri Feb 26 08:48:27 CST 2010

Dave,

I use the "toner transfer" system.  I print out a 1:1 layout on special decal
paper on a laser printer, then transfer that image to copper clad board using a
modified badge laminator.  I then remove the backing paper by soaking it in
water.  At this point I use a ferric chloride bath to etch the copper, but I've
been wanting to use the sponge method instead.  After the acid bath, I rinse the
board with lots of water and then drill out the holes (if any) with a tabletop
(8") drill press.

This is not the cheapest method to use, but it does produce excellent results
with practice.  To get started on-the-cheap, you can just draw circuits on
copper clad board (I have some you can have if you'd like to try it) with a
Sharpie and dunk it in the acid (or use the sponge).  You can buy ferric
chloride at Frys.  A little goes a long way.

Thanks,

Dale Wheat

(972) 486-1317
(877) DALE WHEAT