[DPRG] Work with researchers?

Subject: [DPRG] Work with researchers?
From: Randy M. Dumse rmd at newmicros.com
Date: Tue Jan 5 21:31:21 CST 2010

> Is it worth their effort to work me through the issues? Bear
> in mind that I am a retired software developer so
> understanding requirements and techniques is part of my
> experience so they wouldn't have to hold my hand much.

That indeed is the question, if they would feel the gain in
having assistance was worth the time instructing. Some
researchers would not, and some would.

But at heart, I think we should give them the benefit of the
doubt. These guys are after all educators by choice and desire.
They chose the life because they enjoy it. As long as there is a
gain for them, I think they'll trade a little teaching for some
experienced person making progress. Of course, the other thing,
is professors always have demand on their time. Whether it be
students, grading, meetings, or collateral duties assigned by
the department.

So the only way to see if it might work, is to get some people
who want to try, then approach some researchers and see if they
are interested. Chicken and egg problem. First I think I need
some volunteers, then we'll see if we can draw any researchers,
then we'll see if anything useful can be matched.

Randy