[DPRG] Work with researchers?

Subject: [DPRG] Work with researchers?
From: Quinones, Jose jquinones at ti.com
Date: Wed Jan 6 06:15:21 CST 2010

This is a good topic!

My question is, why separate the hobbyist from the researcher? In essence, a hobbyist can be a researcher! A rehobbysearcher!

Yes, you did mention the lack of funds and resources, but there is a ton of stuff we can research on for which you require zero funding. WHAT??? ZERO FUNDING??? AM I NUTS???

Take for example, the fact that robotics is a lot of hardware, but what it is the most, is software. You can come up with a gazillion techniques to do dynamic PID algorithms, computer vision, neural net or adaptive networks. Why do you need funding for this? You can take your nights at home, code different sets of algorithms and quantify which one works the best.

Then you can take those findings and post them on forums so that the entire planet can benefit from them (including the open source material so other rehobbysearchers can expand on it). There is a fair number of forums out there for robotics, although the great majority of them concentrate on trivial things like "what board to buy" and "why my driver is not working". So that is the problem we should solve first. A forum for rehobbysearchers!

Funding should not be an excuse. When a PhD at a university gets a few hundred thousand dollars, this is not just used to buy fancy and expensive equipment. A good chunk of this goes to pay a "dinky little bit" to the professor himself as well as the research students.

So I think that with minimal cash we can become researchers as well. Am sorry, rehobbysearchers ;-)

Best regards,

JIQ

Texas Instruments - Applications Engineer

13560 North Central Expressway

MS3744

Dallas TX, 75243

Office: 1-214-567-7275