[DPRG] Work with researchers?

Subject: [DPRG] Work with researchers?
From: Rud Merriam k5rud at arrl.net
Date: Wed Jan 6 16:26:04 CST 2010

Which brings up a point that concerns me with hobby robotics: when are we
going to go beyond PID, odometry, etc?

Doing the Square Dance or line following is fine but, to be blunt, they are
dead-ends. RoboMagellan is an open ended problem but to often the approach
used is a dead-end. We know you can get a robot to go from point A to point
B if it knows the coordinates. It can even avoid some obstacles placed in
the direct path. But "find the orange cone somewhere NE of here and no more
the 150 feet away" is more challenging because it eliminates the
dead-reckoning odometry solution.

In the next week or so I'll be updating my blog (you can get to it through
the signature URL) with some points on robotics. Specifically what I'm
getting together with my Create as a base. The challenge will be along the
lines of (1) explore and learn my house using vision and (2) be able to
directly navigate from one part of the house to the other without bumping
into things. In other words, respond to a statement like "Go to the master
bathroom" from wherever it is in the house.

Don't get me wrong. I applaud anyone who develops or works with a platform
to make it do anything. My first efforts with my Create were simply to
duplicate the wandering software that it has built into it. It was great fun
and educational.

 - 73 -
Rud Merriam K5RUD
ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX