[DPRG] "Free Day" at SparkFun is January 7

Subject: [DPRG] "Free Day" at SparkFun is January 7
From: Jeff Koenig koenig.jeff at gmail.com
Date: Fri Jan 8 13:05:00 CST 2010

Ugh - I've got to remember to not post here until after I've had my first
breakfast margarita!  At least I got a cool shout-out on Dale's blog out of
it.

What I meant by my earlier post was, of course, "Gee, they got a lot more
response than they even planned for", but it reads exactly like a grumpier
version of "Whaa!  I wasn't even able to click 'submit' and get my free
toy!".

I know Sparkfun beefed up their servers in anticipation of yesterday's
beating, and they still got clobbered.  Did I read somewhere that they have
70 employees?  I had no idea that they are that large an organization, and
it makes me happy that there's enough demand for cool technical toys to
support a company of that size.

I'm sure a lot of people were frustrated by their server outage, but hey -
that's part of the fun, and there's no trampling danger on an online offer.
As an added benefit to Sparkfun, I'm sure they got lots of good marketing
information on what people would like to have from loading up their carts
beforehand.  And 1,000 people each got $100.00 worth of free, cool stuff.

I've purchased from Sparkfun in the past, will continue to do so in the
future, and am on their side with regard to the recent SPARC
cease-and-desist letter.  In addition, I will encourage them (and anyone
else) to continue with "Free Day" promotions!

-Jeff