[DPRG] "Free Day" at SparkFun is January 7

Subject: [DPRG] "Free Day" at SparkFun is January 7
From: Rud Merriam k5rud at arrl.net
Date: Mon Jan 11 18:30:18 CST 2010

Sorry Randy but by your own position you lose.

It is Nathan's decision to determine the value he received from the free
day. If he perceived that the value received was worth $100,000 then we
cannot question his business decision.

I actually think he made out like a bandit probably generating more revenue
that day than any other in the year. He probably stole sales from
competitors for the last month with people waiting for the possibility to
get their stuff free. Granted, he's probably lost some sales over the next
few weeks, also, that occurred on the free day.

My guess is that the roughly 1,000 spent an additional $25 apiece on
additional goods. It may very well have been higher. But that is small
potatoes

He had 70,000 people hit the site. A large number had orders for $100 queued
that didn't go through but they probably submitted them anyway since it was
stuff they wanted. How many did that is anyone's guess but for every 1,000
who did there was $100,000 in sales. If just 10% made purchases you've got
$700,000 in sales. I'd be surprised if it wasn't higher.

 - 73 -
Rud Merriam K5RUD
ARES AEC Montgomery County, TX
http://mysticlakesoftware.com/