[DPRG] Programmable Logic Devices Question

Subject: [DPRG] Programmable Logic Devices Question
From: Quinones, Jose jquinones at ti.com
Date: Thu Jan 14 14:44:02 CST 2010

Hi Group,

I am wondering what programmable logic device setup would you recommend? Every now and then I need a function which a simple programmable device can tackle better than a microcontroller. Some times it is because of speed, and other times it is because I just need one dinky little function and an entire microcontroller seems like mega overkill.

I know there is a lot of support out there for FPGA and similar devices, but these are, as well, too much overkill.

What I am wondering if there is out there some simple 8 pin devices with a few logic gates to form a simple logic equation. Or it can be a little bit more complicated than this, but not to the FPGA extent.

It would also be a plus that they have good tools. I went into Atmel and their tools almost look like DOS ancient technology. It uses the parallel port. What the heck is this? Mega Legacy or a time machine?

What have you used and what can you recommend? Thanks for your input!

Best regards,

JIQ
Texas Instruments - Applications Engineer
13560 North Central Expressway
MS3744
Dallas TX, 75243
Office: 1-214-567-7275