[DPRG] Programmable Logic Devices Question

Subject: [DPRG] Programmable Logic Devices Question
From: Dave Grubb davidagrubb at hotmail.com
Date: Thu Jan 14 15:27:17 CST 2010

I have been playing around with CPLDs recently, but I think they are probably still overkill for your requirements. They're handy though as they are non-volatile (unlike most FPGAs) so require very little supporting circuitry and come as smaller devices.

I haven't used Atmel devices enough to really say much about their software but I got the impression from fiddling that Microchip's MPLAB suite was greatly superior and their programming devices are very nice. I have a PicKit2 somewhere which is almost a keychain sized USB-powered programmer that was relatively inexpensive. Perhaps a small PIC 12F series controller would be suitable? Those only have 8 pins, relatively few features and cost little more than a dollar each.