[DPRG] Programmable Logic Devices Question

Subject: [DPRG] Programmable Logic Devices Question
From: Paul Bouchier bouchier at classicnet.net
Date: Thu Jan 14 18:58:15 CST 2010

Interesting question Jose. Like many of us, it's been so long. But take a
look at Altera's family of SPLDs, particularly the ATF16V8 in a 20-pin DIP
package ($1.37 from digikey). Here are their devices:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?family_id=653

Altera offers winCUPL for free, a windows version of the ancient (but
decent) PAL compiler CUPL. It lets you enter the logic as boolean equations
(and a few other forms too).

Your challenge will be to find a cheap programmer, or a device which
supports jtag in-system programming and a matching usb-jtag cable. I'll bet
TI has a data IO programmer tucked away somewhere.

The ATF1500 is in-system programmable but is in a 44-pin plcc and likely
bigger than you want.

Also, have a look at Lattice Semiconductor. They still sell their GAL's -
look at the ispGAL22V10 ($4.64 from their online store). It's in-system
programmable, but their USB programming cable is $150 for USB or $65 for
parallel port.

Paul