[DPRG] Programmable Logic Devices Question

Subject: [DPRG] Programmable Logic Devices Question
From: Ed Paradis legomaniac at gmail.com
Date: Thu Jan 14 22:13:42 CST 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 7:53 PM, John Dolecek <jdolecek at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have to play devils advocate here.  What's wrong with overkill?
> Microcontrollers are so cheap and readily available that it seems a waste of
> time searching out exotic components and learning to use them.

I have to admit, I like being able to do things in software, and the
mixed signal capabilities of a microcontroller are tempting.  They can
also cost in the one-dollar range.

But sometimes you need the fast response of "real" logic. I think even
the best 8pin micros would be in the microsecond range, not the
nanosecond range.

So it would depend on your application.

Don't be too wary of surface mount components for prototyping: there
are many cheap carrier board solutions you could solder a SMD and IDC
pins to in order to create a bread-board friendly package.

Schmart boards  (schmartboard.com) are the name brand and are
available at places like Fry's if you need it today.  There are other
vendors I've seen in the pages of Nuts and Volts and other such
magazines.

It would be a benefit because you'd be working with a device with a
known package on your breadboard.  While its unlikely you'd find a
part only available in PDIP, I know some chips have extra pins on
their SMD versions.

Ed