[DPRG] Forum?

Subject: [DPRG] Forum?
From: R. Steven Rainwater srainwater at ncc.com
Date: Sat Jan 16 16:36:31 CST 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 13:14 -0600, Jose I Quinones wrote:
> Has the club ever considered implementing a Forum, instead of a
> mailing list, for communication purposes? Not saying that it is better
> in any way or fashion, but am curious as to whether it has been
> suggested in the past, and if it has been suggested, was there any
> reason not to go with it?

Yes, It has been suggested from time to time.

The reason for not doing it yet is largely just inertia since we've been
doing the mailing list for around 13 years. On the other hand, there are
some good reasons to make the change. For one, mailing lists seem arcane
and complicated to the less sophisticated Internet users of today who
expect everything to be web-based. There's also a growing body of
research suggesting that females, in particular, are very resistant to
participating in communities that communicate primarily by mailing
lists.

So if we want to engage a larger, more balanced audience, I think we'll
probably end up going with a forum eventually. That said, don't count on
it happening in the immediate future. :)

-Steve