[DPRG] Is the Rovio a viable platform?

Subject: [DPRG] Is the Rovio a viable platform?
From: Michael Giambalvo heathkit at gmail.com
Date: Sat Jan 23 07:42:36 CST 2010

After a few years building different platforms, using kits or starting
from scratch with surplus, I always come down to the same goal that I
seem to have so much trouble meeting.

All I'd like is a little living room robot with good quality encoders,
and either a computer or a nicely done wifi link.   Ideally, it would
be engineer so as not to get easily stuck and have some kind of
well-designed docking system for charging.  Also, a decent run time is
a must.

Right now, I'm leaning towards just sticking a tiny Atom based board
and a webcam on my roomba.  Maybe even a Create. But the Rovio looks
interesting - it might be exactly what I want, already built, at a
nice price!

Has anyone experimented with "hacking" it?  They seem to have a nice
and open API, and I've seen some hardware mods.  I'm wondering if
anyone has used it as a platform and has an opinion on how well it
putters around a living room.