[DPRG] Robot Pb battery charging question

Subject: [DPRG] Robot Pb battery charging question
From: Quinones, Jose jquinones at ti.com
Date: Sun Jan 24 05:10:41 CST 2010

Hi Paul,

I will be honest here; whether what you attempt to do (tap out of the lower 12V battery that is connected in series with another 12V battery to power 24V motors) is a good idea or not, I have no clue. But there is like a gut feeling which tells me it is not the most efficient way to do this.

I had your problem, precisely! Which is why I came up with the AE-PWR1 board. I think you may still have one of the bare boards. The beauty of this concept, is that all you have is a single 24V power source and the PWR1 generates 2 other voltage outputs. Per example, you could have 3.3V and 5V derived from the 24V and both batteries would be subjected to the same loading. Plus the PWR1 gives you multiple connection points to route your two rails.

Each PWR1 output can support up to 2A loading, which I believe should be more than enough to power up your electronics (unless you are driving a PC on the 12V). I have not tried wiring them in parallel, but I supposed there has to be a way. That would give you 4A of current loading.

Sorry to ask this, but could you copy-paste this question on the www.robot-talk.com forum? I think it is a very good question and since I am trying to fill it up with content, it would help quite a bit! Thanks!

Best regards,

JIQ
Texas Instruments - Applications Engineer
13560 North Central Expressway
MS3744
Dallas TX, 75243
Office: 1-214-567-7275