[DPRG] Eclipse IDE wth CodeSourcery GNU tool chain and JTAG

Subject: [DPRG] Eclipse IDE wth CodeSourcery GNU tool chain and JTAG
From: Dale Wheat dale at dalewheat.com
Date: Sun Jan 24 17:53:28 CST 2010

I'm trying to get familiar with Eclipse.  I looked at in the past but wasn't
able to get it working for my projects.  It seems to have made giant leaps
forward in the meantime.

What I'm trying to do is use it as an IDE for debugging ARM code in C,
specifically for the Luminary Micro Stellaris and STmicroelectronics STM32
Cortex-M3 parts.  I have working hardware (various manufacturer evaluation
boards) and a working toolchain (CodeSourcery GNU GCC Lite for ARM EABI).  I can
write code and get it running on the hardware with no problems.  So all I really
need is a debugger, not a whole editor/compiler/etc.  I'd like to single-step
the code and examine memory and peripheral registers in real time.

As I'm completely unfamiliar with Eclipse and the CDT (C/C++ Development Toolkit
plugin), I'm having a hard time understanding how things are supposed to work or
even where/how to ask for help.

Does anyone here have any suggestions for me?  Any first-hand experience using
Eclipse as a remote debugging tool?  I know it's possible as CodeSourcey and
Code Red both sell Eclipse-based packages to do exactly what I'm wanting to do -
for many $$$.

Thanks for your input!

Thanks,

Dale Wheat