[DPRG] Permanent Meeting Location

Subject: [DPRG] Permanent Meeting Location
From: Quinones, Jose jquinones at ti.com
Date: Thu Jan 28 07:40:19 CST 2010

I just read about this on the January edition of the Servo magazine. In California, a group of people started doing something like an RBNO, but it got packed so quick, they could not do them like that anymore. So they opened up a 4400 facility called Hackers Dojo. For $100 a month, members can utilize the facility 24/7. Have no idea how they manage to control access, but I imagine (since everybody is a geek there) a simple RFID tag will do the job.

I started asking here at work, and everybody seemed to be convinced that should be a no brainer in Silicon Valley, but that since Dallas is so Geek Diluted, something like that would not work. I agree a facility as large as 4400 SQFT would be too large a project here for the DFW region, but there has to be a way in which this can be done.

Would it be too impossible to get a medium size warehouse for $500 a month and get 10 members to pay $50 bucks a month? Seems a little bit unfair since everybody else would not pay a dime, but of course the 10 payees would have some kind of special advantage such as storage space or access to tools. I am certain you guys thought this over far much more than this, but I can imagine a lot of people willing to pay $25 to $50 a month if the return is appealing enough.

BTW, the real advantage of a hackers space is not the space itself, but the ability to meet with a gazillion people with the same interests. It works for networking, advertising products that you have, possibly starting new businesses, and most importantly getting somebody to help you with a project in which you are stuck, but they happen to be an expert at.

Best regards,

JIQ