[DPRG] Off Topic: gcc help

Subject: [DPRG] Off Topic: gcc help
From: Steve Rainwater srainwater at ncc.com
Date: Thu Jul 15 16:17:13 CDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 16:43 -0400, warm38 at juno.com wrote:
> I am using Cygwin under winXP.

Yikes! I'm not a windows user and have never used Cygwin, so I probably
won't be of much help on this one. Why not just run it on GNU/Linux
directly instead of using Cygwin on Windows? Seems like that would take
out an extra layer of complexity. It's easy to install if you have a
spare box around and would give you a big head start as it would already
have a working native gcc tool chain, bash, etc., so you could
concentrate on building the cross compiler instead of on making Unix
stuff work on Windows.

> This will be for a cross-comiler to build the files under cygwin.  The
> processor has NOT yet been released and they are trying to get the C
> compiler OK and be able to do REGRESSION (DejaGnu/runtest) testing as
> they make changes to the compiler.  (this is their first try)

Wow, ok, never done that either. I've only built known-good versions of
gcc for supported targets, so I never had to do regression testing on
the compiler source code itself. Just out of curiosity, what's the
processor?

Good place to start might be the FSF's GCC testing efforts page:

 http://gcc.gnu.org/testing/

I believe it has links to automated regression testing tools used by the
gcc development team. They run regression tests daily on the development
source so they should have a pretty good idea of what you need to do.
They have a mailing list specifically for testing issues. I assume your
patches will eventually make it upstream to the gcc folks anyway, so
maybe they can help you with the testing.

-Steve