[DPRG] Current Sensing -- How to Do It?

Subject: [DPRG] Current Sensing -- How to Do It?
From: Quinones, Jose jquinones at ti.com
Date: Mon Jul 19 08:42:06 CDT 2010

Hi Dick,

The way I have done this is by putting a low ohmage high power SENSE resistor (say 100 mOhms) at the low side of the H Bridge. Then, I use a current shunt monitor such as the INA196 from Texas Instruments, which will amplify by a gain of 20, the voltage read on the SENSE resistor.

This voltage I then feed to my ADC or comparator and I can use for all sorts of things such as current regulation, stall detection, or in this case, whether there is a car or not.

The INA196 will give you a positive voltage output whether the SENSE resistor voltage is positive or not. This is important because during fast decay current regulation, SENSE resistor voltage can be slightly negative.

You don't have to worry about reading current while the PWM is on the OFF Cycle, because on a DC motor, current is pretty much continuous. If the current is not continuous, then the PWM frequency is to low, which is pretty much undesirable as it messes up motion quality and results on audible noise. You will want a PWM frequency larger than 20 KHz. 30 KHz is pretty much standard.

I have one design with this scheme and I can send you a schematic if you want. I never made it Open Source because there was one bug in the first prototype and I have never went ahead and fixed it. It was for a stepper driver with up to 70A current capability, but the design was too bulky so I discontinued it. But the current control scheme worked flawlessly!

Best regards,

JIQ
size=2 width="100%" align=center tabindex=-1>