[DPRG] Current Sensing -- How to Do It?

Subject: [DPRG] Current Sensing -- How to Do It?
From: Steve Rainwater srainwater at ncc.com
Date: Mon Jul 19 10:31:35 CDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-07-18 at 22:57 -0500, Dick Swan wrote:
> My idea is to split the track powering into several segments each with
> its own feed from the output of a single H-Bridge used to power the
> car. I need some kind of detector circuitry for each segment to
> determine whether it contains the race car.

I haven't played with any recent slot car tracks but when I was a kid
the controller was just a big rheostat that fed voltage into the track.
There was no need to know where on the track the car was, the entire
track carried the same power. Seems like that would be pretty easy to
duplicate in a computer controlled method.

What's the goal of dividing the track in segments and determining where
the cars currently are? Is that so the computer can estimate whether
it's winning or not? I'd be inclined to go with Ron's idea of an
overhead video camera as the easiest and cheapest way to do that.

Maybe you could bring the whole set up to an RBNO and we could do some
brainstorming.

-Steve