[DPRG] Current Sensing -- How to Do It?

Subject: [DPRG] Current Sensing -- How to Do It?
From: Dick Swan dickswan at sbcglobal.net
Date: Mon Jul 19 11:29:55 CDT 2010

Steve:
The point of dividing the track into segments is to know where the slot car is on the track. And then to adjust the speed based on which segment is “active”; so that you can have higher speeds on the straight-aways vs on the curves.

I recall one self-learning algorithm that works as follows:
1.	Start the car at a low speed on the track. Measure the time to travel on each segment. This establishes a baseline.
2.	Repeat the following
3.	Gradually increase the speed through one of the track segments. See if the time to travel the segment increases or decreases.
4.	A increasing time through the segment indicates that the motor is going too fast and slipping on the track indicating that the car is nearly ready to spin out. At least this is the theory. So you’ve reached the speed limit for that particular segment.
5.	Repeat for all track segments.

If (4) above proves to be false, then simply increase the speed until the car actually spins out. You have to manually reposition the car on the track. The software is waiting for this and has remembered the test progress up to the time it spun out. Software will resume maximum speed detection now that it knows the “spin out” speed for that particular segment.

I’m expecting that it will be possible to create computer controlled speeds that will be almost impossible to match with human control.