[DPRG] What PWM Frequnecy

Subject: [DPRG] What PWM Frequnecy
From: Rick Bickle rbickle at intconsys.com
Date: Mon Jul 19 12:34:13 CDT 2010

Dick,

I've always been of the opinion that the lowest PWM frequency is best.
The lowest frequency being a little higher than what the system (car)
will respond to. In other words, not so low that the car or robot will
pulse or vibrate. The higher the frequency, the more capacitive losses
you will realize in the MOSFETs of the H-bridges and other circuitry.
Also, lower frequencies are easier to manage in firmware of small
microcontrollers that don't have PWM specific hardware. Higher
frequencies, also tend to induce noise on other circuits. Most of my
motor control systems operated more in the 1khz range.

Just my 2 cents.

Rick