[DPRG] Off Topic: gcc help

Subject: [DPRG] Off Topic: gcc help
From: warm38 at juno.com warm38 at juno.com
Date: Mon Jul 19 14:50:17 CDT 2010

If texinfo/makeinfo is my problem... then I have a problem

I tried to install using Synaptic Package Manager and it said it have it,
but I tried your way anyway.

 $sudo apt-get install texinfo
<ask password>
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
texinfo is already the newest version.
texinfo set to manually installed.
---------------------

Concerning target... the instructions I was given was to use
../binutils/configure --target=xxx --prefix=/opt/xxx/

NOW, I tried
../binutils/configure --target=xxx-elf --prefix=/opt/xxx/
And I get just a tiny bit further, but it still dies in the ..../bfd/doc
directory with no information as to why.
I also the the
export TARGET=xxx-elf
export PREFIX=/opt/xxx/

and "xxx" is a substitute for the actual processor which is listed in the
bfd case choice as
"xxx-*-"
and as I was looking I also did see
"xxx" but no "xxx*"  Hmmmm...

So anybody have any pointers as to why this <insert sailor's colorful
descriptive language here> bfd keeps choking?

here is my latest run on Ubuntu 10.04 AND on cygwin, so I guess it is
pretty universal under Linux-like stuff:
/opt/binutils-xxx
 $make

make[4]: Entering directory `/opt/bintuils-xxx/bfd/doc'
make[4]: `chew.exe' is up to date.
make[4]: Leaving directory `/opt/bintuils-xxx/bfd/doc'
./chew.exe -f ../../../binutils/bfd/doc/doc.str
<../../../binutils/bfd/doc/../mmo.c > mmo.tmp
/bin/sh ../../../binutils/bfd/doc/../../move-if-change mmo.tmp mmo.texi
creating bfdver.texi
restore=: && backupdir=".am$$" && \
WARNNING: `makeinfo' is missing on your system.  You should only need it
if
          you modified a `.texi' or `.texinfo' file, or any other file
          indirectly affectin ghte aspect of the manual.  The spurious
          call might also be the consequence of using ia buggy `make'
(AIX,
          DU, IRIX).  You might want to install the `Texinfor' package or

          the `GNU make' package.  grab either from any GNU archive site.
make[3]: *** [bfd.info] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/binutils-xxx/bfd/doc'
Making info in po
make[3]: Entering directory `/opt/binutils-xxx/bfd/po'
( if test 'x../../../binutils/bfd/po' !='x.'; then \
... \
<a few lines continuing the above>
... \
cd.. \
          && CONFIG_FILES=po/Makefile.in:po/Make-in \
             CONFIG_HEADERS= /bin/sh ./config.status
config.status: creating po/Makefile.in
config.status: executing libtool commands
config.status: executing default-1 commands
config.status: executing bfd-stdint.h commands
config.status: executing default commands
make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/binutils-xxx/bfd/po'
make[3]: Entering directory `/opt/binutils-xxx/bfd/po'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `info'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/binutils-xxx/bfd/po'
make[3]: Entering directory `/opt/binutils-xxx/bfd'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `info-am'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/binutils-xxx/bfd'
make[2]: *** [info-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/binutils-xxx/bfd'
make[1]: *** [all-bfd] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/binutils-xxx'
make: *** [all] Error 2
/opt/binutils-xxx
 $

What does "make[3]: *** [bfd.info] Error 1" mean?
What can I fix or look at to get it through this brick wall?  It gives me
no line number or nastygram of a program to fix.
Can you suggest what could possibly be something that I need to look at
and fix? <insert frustrated scream here>

thank you for your help

wade